The Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (EWOQ) is a free, fair and independent dispute resolution service for unresolved complaints with your electricity, gas or water supplier. Before you contact EWOQ with your complaint, you must first try to resolve the problem with your electricty, gas or water company.
Free call 1800 662 837 Complaints  |   Resources  |   Scheme Participants  |   Embedded Networks

Payment assistance for bills

Further information:

What if you cannot pay on time?

It is your responsibility to pay, on time, for the water you’ve consumed or you may face having your water flow severely restricted. If you can’t pay a bill, talk to your retailer as soon as you can. Get help early - this can stop your debt getting bigger and keep your water flowing. You can also authorise a friend or community worker to talk to the retailer on your behalf.


Experiencing financial difficulties?

Contact your retailer immediately

If you are having trouble paying your bill, contact your retailer immediately to find out what assistance they can provide to avoid having your water flow severely restricted. If you wait until you have been restricted to contact your retailer, you may be required to pay a fee and the balance of your bill before supply is restored.

Payment plans

Some water retailers offer instalment plans to customers. If you can’t agree with the retailer about how much you can afford to pay, contact EWOQ.

Hardship policies

Some water retailers have hardship programs. Each retailer has their own eligibility criteria. Contact your retailer to see if you are eligible.

Financial counselling

A financial counsellor can help you manage a short-term financial crisis and to remain in control of your own financial affairs. They can assist with:

  • Budgeting and organising your finances.
  • Assessing your eligibility for government assistance.
  • Explaining debt recovery, bankruptcy and other alternatives.
  • Referring you to other relevant services (legal aid, personal counselling).

You can find a list of financial counsellors at the Financial Counselling Australia website or contact the National Debt Helpline for assistance.



Water rebates are available to eligible pensioners in south east Queensland who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card. The annual rebate is applied to your account so ensure your retailer has your concession card details. 

Dialysis patients in south east Queensland may also be entitled to a water rebate. Contact your water retailer for more information.

Visit the Queensland Government Smart Savings website to find and apply for concessions and rebates available to Queenslanders.


What are your payment options?

Most retailers offer customers different ways to pay their bill (e.g. Bpay, direct debit, Centrepay, credit card, or at the post office). However you may be charged for paying a certain way. Check with your retailer.

Some water retailers offer Centrepay to Centrelink customers. An amount will be deducted from your pension or benefit each fortnight (minimum of $10) by Centrelink and transferred to your energy account. When you make a fortnightly payment, you still receive a quarterly bill, but only for any amount still owing on your account. Contact Centrelink on 132 300 or your retailer for more information.