The Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (EWOQ) is a free, fair and independent dispute resolution service for unresolved complaints with your electricity, gas or water supplier. Before you contact EWOQ with your complaint, you must first try to resolve the problem with your electricty, gas or water company.
Free call 1800 662 837 Complaints  |   Resources  |   Scheme Participants  |   Embedded Networks

Connecting your electricity

Opening an account

Choosing an electricity retailer

See Choosing a retailer for more detailed information.

Shop around to find the retailer that best meets your needs. You can usually open a new account over the phone. Simply contact the retailer you want to be with.

You may be in a building that has a contract with one retailer to supply electricity to all tenancies or a bulk hot water service using gas. If this is the case, you may not be able to change retailers, and should contact your on-seller or body corporate for further information.

Visit the Australian Energy Regulator to see a full list of retailers, and information on buying electricity from an on-seller.

Choosing a contract

See Choosing a contract for more detailed information.

Make sure you read any contract carefully before signing, ensuring that you understand and agree to the terms and conditions. A contract is legally binding, so do not sign it if you are unsure or the terms and conditions are not what you expected.

Establish your identity

You must provide your retailer with your name and contact details for billing. They may also ask for an acceptable form of identification such as a driver’s licence (or other photo identification).


If you hold a Queensland Government Seniors Card or Pensioner Concession Card, you may be eligible for an electricity or gas rebate. If you are eligible, your rebate will be credited to your electricity account with each bill.

You should check each bill to make sure correct concessions have been applied.

Establish authorised contacts

You may want to add a partner, spouse or flat mate as an ‘authorised person’ on your account to allow them to speak with your retailer. Should an issue or query arise, retailers can only talk to you or any authorised people about your account.

Security deposits

Retailers may require security deposits from you if you have outstanding debts. Your security deposit will be refunded once you have established a good payment record.


Moving house?

Take a photo or write down the meter number and meter reading when you first move in and then check them against your first bill.

Ensure you read all mail that you receive from any electricity or gas retailer (even if it is addressed 'Dear Customer' or 'Dear Occupier') as it may alert you to a problem. Address any issues as early as possible.

You are responsible for providing safe, clear access to your electricity meter. If the meters are not accessible, your bills may be estimated. Contact your retailer to discuss access options.

Contact your retailer at least three days before moving out to cancel or transfer your account. If you do not do so they may continue to charge you for the electricity used at the property.

Make sure you give your retailer a forwarding address for them to send you the final bill.

The retailer may charge you an exit fee if you are breaking a fixed term contract – refer to your contract terms and conditions for more information.

Take a photo for proof or write down the meter reading as you leave the property and then check this against your final bill.