Jane Pires, Energy & Water Ombudsman
The Energy and Water Ombudsman administers the Energy and Water Ombudsman Scheme in Queensland, providing a timely, effective, independent and just way of resolving disputes and ensuring complaints are handled in an expeditious manner. The Ombudsman provides leadership and direction and contributes to improved service delivery in the energy and water sector, fostering a culture of excellence, a commitment to customer service and providing all Queenslanders with equal access to the service. The Ombudsman has full operational and functional oversight and monitors and drives organisational performance.
Jane Pires was appointed Ombudsman in December 2016 and brings with her more than 25 years’ experience in customer service and complaint management.
Jane has extensive senior executive experience in dispute resolution and has been on the Board of the Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals Australia for 10 years, including serving three terms as President and is the current Vice President. In 2012-13, Jane was also on the Standards Australia QR015 Committee responsible for reviewing the Guidelines for Complaint Handling in Organisations (AS ISO 10002).
Jane is experienced in mediation, conciliation and dispute resolution and is an accredited mediator. She holds an MBA with a dispute resolution major.
EWOQ has three teams who work under the leadership of the Energy and Water Ombudsman.
- Led by General Manager Operations
- Has three regional offices located in Brisbane, Rockhampton and Cairns
- Responsible for the day-to-day dispute resolution and investigation of complaints and identification of potential systemic issues.
- The South Queensland region encompasses the Gold Coast in the south, Gympie to the north and west to the South Australian border.
- The Central Queensland region covers the area north of Gympie to Mackay and west to the Northern Territory border.
- The North Queensland region is north of Mackay (including the Torres Strait islands) and west to the Northern Territory border.
- Led by Manager Corporate Services.
- Provides the essential services vital for the day-to-day running of EWOQ, including finances, records management, information technology, human resource services and administration.
- Provides training and professional development to staff.
Policy and Research
- Led by Manager Policy and Research
- Responsible for leading and coordinating research, analysis and strategic advice and development on complex policies and emerging issues.
- Manages the development, implementation and analysis of internal and external surveys on behalf of EWOQ.
- Incorporates marketing and communication.
- Oversees the quality assurance process for EWOQ and the identification of potential systemic issues.